12.17.2006

BMI Prerequisite?

1. Like most medical students, I have lots of questions running through my head. One question I can't seem to get out of my mind is:

Should there be a BMI prerequisite for those working in the field of healthcare?

Let's look at this question seriously. Is it morally right or even politically correct for a doctor, nurse, or member of the healthcare team who has a BMI that puts them in the obese range, to tell the patient that they need to live a more healthy lifestyle? Is it? From my perspective, it's a hard question to answer. What I do know though, is that if my PCP had a BMI of 34 and told me that I needed to lose weight, I wouldn't take him/her seriosuly.

"Lead by example" or "Live as I say, not as I do". Which is more appropriate in this situation? Is it unfair to the patient to take control of something that the healthcare provider can't even seem to take control of?Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

2. Wine and Yoga
"Medicine" says that a few glasses of wine a week can help protect your heart. Yoga is a good form of alternative medicine/therapy and it is good for your health. Like others in our country, I think that the combination of East and West, or Yoga and Wine in this case, is a novel approach to healthcare. To see what I am talking about, click on this link: "Wine and Yoga".

3. What do medical students want to read in a blog?
I am open to suggestions and new at this game of "blogging", so tell me your thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the idea of healthy BMI as a prereq for healthworkers: first off, I don't think that it's a moral issue at all. It's not a "do what i say, not what i do" situation. Rather, it's a it would be a good idea to do what I say because its been proven that its better for you situation.
Also, why stop there? Why not make it so that anyone who is overweight or binge drinks or doesnt eat enough fiber or doesnt sleep enough or who has ever had unprotected sex cannot become a medical professional?
Personally, I would rather have occupational competence in my physician than someone who is physicall fit.
Another perspective if that perhaps a medical professional can be more empathetic (and less judgmental) if they too struggle/have struggled with certain unhealthy behaviors, which could benefit the patient? Just some thoughts =-)

Anonymous said...

You just asked what other med students would want in a blog so I thought I'd say hey, keep up the good work. You have great articles and stories. Who doesn't love the wierd patient stories? The MedTV stuff is pretty cool too.

I have a site too called Michelle vs the med student at mvmedstudent.wordpress.com. I'd say my site is more personal and not so medically related at the moment b/c I'm on break, but I try to emphasize it is possible to have some semblance of a life, and that there are 2 sides to my brain. I find blogging gives the other side a good workout, don't you?

Well Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

As a Medical Student in the United Kingdom it would be quite good to read about your experiences as a medical student in an education system different to our own... whaqt do you hate and love about your days... the material you have posted already is interesting and i shall continue to return. good work!

Mr. Tuck-N-Roll said...

I believe in "Lead By Example", but I don't think it's necessary for the healthcare provider to appear aesthetically fit. As long as you don't find them in the cafeteria chowing down on french fries, and at least they maintain a somewhat healthy diet, then it's not morally wrong to tell their patients to live a healthier lifestyle. It's a slight variation of Lead By Example...perhaps Practice What You Preach? Except not necessary yielding the perfect results.