12.19.2006

Stripper, Too Many Y Chromosomes, Poem, and News

1. A true patient interaction that recently happend to me at an office visit:
Me: So, what brings you in today?
Pt: I think I hurt my ankle.
Me: Okay......can you tell me more about that?
Pt: I think I might have hurt it at work.
Me: Uh huh...
Pt: Yeah, so that's what happened.
Me: Okay. Can you tell me how you may have hurt it at work?
Pt: I was just working, you know......
Me: No, I don't understand. Could you elaborate on that a little more?
Pt: On what?
Me: The hurting your ankle at work.
Pt: Oh, ok. It's just that, I have to stand a lot at work, and I think I may have tendonitis or something, so I just wanted to make sure it was ok, so that I could keep working.
Me: Okay, let me have a look at it..........(physical exam happens here).........
Pt: Well, what do you think?
Me: I think it's probably tendonitis, but, we need to check with Dr. X to make sure. Is it possible that maybe you could keep off the ankle for a few days and maybe take some anti-inflammatories?
Pt: I don't think I can stay off it because of work......
Me: Oh. What do you do for a living?
Pt: I am a dancer.
Me: Oh, I love dancing. What kind of dance?
Pt: I am an erotic dancer, a stripper....
Me: Yeah, I can see how it might be hard to say off those high heels.......I'll go get Dr. X so we can take care of this....

2. In regards to the "gender test" a "woman" in India had to take after placing 2nd in a race, the following quote was given to the media:
(click link for story)
"Sounderajan appeared to have "abnormal chromosomes." The test revealed more Y chromosomes than allowed"

Those damn Y chromosomes just popping up again!

......more Y chromosomes that allowed for a woman, you mean one Y chromosome?!

Pseudohermaphrodite!

4. A poem for the people reading this blog....

Yesterday when I studied,
I really learned a lot.
And today when I recalled,
The brain felt really shot.

Tonight I'll try to study,
And if that works, I'll learn,
And tomorrow if I recall,
My brain will crash and burn.

The hope is that by Friday,
I'll have learned enough to pass,
And then, I'll sit and laugh and drink,
And throw back glass by glass.


3. Humans CAN smell as good as dogs and other animals.
(click on quote for story)
"The work, published in the journal Nature Neuroscience, asked people to follow scents on the ground, as a dog would do, and found they were as good."

No comments: